Thursday, June 9, 2011

Flowers on the Farm

Let me just start by saying, just in case you haven't been watching the weather in this part of the country....it is HOT! To say we are grateful for A/C would be an understatement.

Anyway, in terms of the house, we got the water on, the electric on, the garden in but we are still in limbo about whether we can use the septic system. There is one there but the problem is that we don't know where the leach lines go. I have a feeling we'll have to connect to the city sewer in the end, which isn't really a big deal (and is my preference) it will just delay us living in the house because we are paying as we go.

Getting a garden in was big progress in my mind. Just standing there watering the watermelon, squash, cucumber, bell pepper and tomatoes is like a soothing balm for any stress I have, not that I can say I really have any at the moment. Kevin told me after we'd been here a few days that he could tell I had stopped gritting my teeth -- something I've done for so long I didn't realize I even did it. For him, he actually has white on his fingernails. For as long as I can remember, he has bit his nails completely down to the quick. These things combined are more confirmation that we made the right decision in coming here.

Yesterday evening, after the heat had died down a little, we went to the house so I could water the garden and Kevin snapped these photos:





These gorgeous lilies (I think) literally all popped open yesterday not just in our yard but everywhere! Even though they have no scent, I love the color! The shed above is one closest to the house that we will be dismantling because it is seriously about to fall down. We will reuse the metal roof and wood in other restoration around the property.  Amongst the various plants here, there is a concord grape vine, according to our wonderful neighbor Mary Bell, who we will introduce to you soon, if she'll let us take her picture.

Well, off to water the garden again, paint the mailbox post and check on our farm cat Oscar.

-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment