Sunday, September 26, 2010

House History

According to Indiana Landmarks, this is the history on our house, which is known as the Christian Tash House:


Christian Tash, Sr. was one of ten children born to John and Sarah Tash who settled in Washington County in 1816, from North Carolina. In 1847, Christian Tash married Matilda Walker and subsequently purchased 205 acres near the original family homestead on the Blue River where he built the present house in 1853. Local historical accounts lay claim that in the summer of 1863, Confederate cavalry under the command of Captain William Davis, who was a part of General John Hunt Morgan’s unit, forded the Blue River near this property and commandeered the original Tash homestead where they consumed all of the food supply of the Tash family. Upon leaving the Tash house, the men encountered Union soldiers at the top of nearby Oak Ridge Hill where a skirmish occurred resulting in the death of one confederate troop, the wounding of five others, and the capturing of nineteen. The event has become known as the Battle of Oak Ridge and is marked by a plaque. The Christian Tash farm remained in the Tash family until the 1990’s with the death of family member Everett Marvin Tash.

I love that there is history with the house! I'm looking forward to seeing the plaque for myself. I will post a pic when I do.

--A.

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I just bought a historic house too! Congrats! We're having a lot of fun not only renovating, but also researching the history of the house and the people who have lived there. We'll be watching TV or using the computer and my husband will comment about how weird this must be for the house... lol

    I look forward to seeing what you do to the house! And check out my blog too! We've only done about a month of work so far, but like your house, ours has good bones and will turn out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete